J Beatz was one of the first producers I came across on Grime Forum in early 2008. First of all I was shocked at the work rate, then I was shocked at his age. He was sending me a beat a week before I had even joined Rinse FM. Persistence is the key in this game, now he is gone on to get big vocals in 2009 from the likes of Big H and Skepta, 2010 should see him cement his name as producer in his own right with a release on No Hats No Hoods.



Where are you from, how old are you and how long have you been making music for?

I'm from Enfield in North London I'm 17 and I've producing for a solid 3 years now.

You would of been about 9 when More Fire - Oi came out! When did you really take notice of Grime, was there a stand out tune for you that got you really into it?

I remember going to my cousin Kyle's house for the summer holidays and I heard Nasty Crew - Take You Out and I was just addicted ever since. Kano stood out on that tune especially (Kano if your reading this go back to the old you!). I just started buying DVD's, downloading tunes and even spitting at the time under the name Easy Money! I've been hooked ever since!

So what motivated you to start producing instead of pursuing the MC'ing?

I was just swag! After I couldn't write any more bars without any similies I gave up. My older brother (J Jules) had fruity loops for time and I just watched him produce, taking everything in. I got involved and what made me stick at it was one day after getting sent home from school in year 9 I made a tune called Murk Riddim and at the time I thought it was big and that made me want to stick at producing.

So do you remember the producers you rated at the time when you got started? Who are you into at the moment?

I rated Dizzee, Wiley, Sticky epecially that tune Triplets 4 the tune was the one! Right now i'm rating obviously Rude Kid, Silencer, Nocturnal i'm also rating the up and coming ones aswell there's Swizzee Star, Z Dot, Moony, Teeza, Royal T, Beat Creatures, High Frequency there's so many of em it's good to see em coming through



Often producers speak of how difficult it is working with MCs what has been your experience so far? Whats your favourite vocal so far?

MC's are long they take so long to vocal a tune and there are so many that don't even send the producers the tune its par but you do come across some proper MC's that keep you updated. My favourite experience was working with Big H cos he's one of my favourite mc's so to have 3 beats on his mixtape was a privilege and he gave a free copy as well certain MC's don't even do that.

My favourite vocal would have to be 'Life and Death' most definitely!



I want to briefly touch on your funky work as well? I don't know much about it, what is the update?

Yeah I'm slyly putting my finger in that pie as well! I've just been sending tunes to dj's and I've been getting a good response. I've got some tunes on www.ukfunky,.com there's Astronaut, Sex On The Beach, Spontaneous and my Coldsteps remix there all up now so go buy that go a few new ones coming. Right now i'm trying to get vocals done aswell look out for the soulful house track with L.A. Cartier aswell!

So at the moment are you making a tune a day or something that's a lot of work?

I wish I could make a tune a day boy but I have college and my DJ work it sometimes gets in the way but I still get a few done in the week. When it comes Christmas holidays it's gonna be a next ting fruity loops is gonna get rinsed.

DJ work?

I work with this youth company called British DJ & MC Academy and we got to estates in Edmonton and Enfield and teach kids how to mix.

So that's something your looking to pursue in music the DJing side as well?

Definitely man there's not enough Grime producer/dj's its quite shameful to be honest look at the dubstep scene half of the producers are dj's so they can play out all over the world and promote their own tunes. DJ'ing is something I love to do so most definitely like to pursue.



So what projects can we expect to hear beats from you on next year? And what are your personal plans

Expect me on Trim's Monkey Features out this month, 9 Milli Major's mixtape Keep Praying next month, Sharky Major's mixtape Major League, Big H's next mixtape there's more but I can't remember. I also got a vinyl EP coming out with No Hats No Hoods so look out for that in the future too. I also wanna try get a club grime track done and make for video for it we definitely need more of that.

Any last words?

Big up Butterz, Magic, Sketch E, Score 5, Smallz all the DJ's that support me, all the MC's that I work with, everyone that gives me feedback on my beats.

Catch J Beatz Twitter / Myspace / Facebook / MSN


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous 12 November 2009 at 23:45

    j beatz is a snake but hes a hard producaa ovi green gang gang green. never smiling always mean. the straps overly dirty neva bin clean.

     
  2. Nick 13 November 2009 at 11:35

    Great interview, is mad thinking kids were 9 when Oi dropped! Nice to see the next generation making great music!

     
  3. Anonymous 13 November 2009 at 13:00

    j beat dem is a dutty guy

     
  4. n d0t 13 November 2009 at 21:44

    dis guy is strapped and i dun mean velcro